360 Translations provides interpreters in courtrooms in both criminal and civil settings. Typically, the bulk of the communication is handled by two sworn proceedings interpreters who work together. The number of interpreters may increase depending upon the language needs of the Deaf persons involved, as well as the number of Deaf people and their role in the legal matter.
The proceedings interpreters are officers of the court and are governed by the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct. In addition, the interpreters are generally governed by the court interpreter’s code of conduct in the respective state (New Jersey Code of Conduct; Pennsylvania Code of Conduct). As officers of the court, interpreters maintain neutrality throughout the process.
When you call 360 Translations for a courtroom interpreter, we will ask you a series of questions that will enable us to place the best interpreter on site for your needs.
At 360 Translations we encourage all courts to video-tape and audio-tape all court proceedings, as this memorializes the work of the legal interpreter and it critical if there is ever need for review.
- Names of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals involved, as well as other interested parties, and whether they are defendants, plaintiffs, complainant, or witnesses.
- Type of proceeding, whether it is an arraignment, pre-trial hearing, trial, sentencing, etc.
- All charges involved in criminal cases, and details of complaint in civil cases.
- Language needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons involved. It is critical that we know if any person has limited language capacity where a Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) may also be needed. If you are unaware of the language needs, our interpreter will make an assessment on-site and may have to request the services of CDI, which may lead to a continuance.
- All background information that you have, which may necessitate faxing portions of the case file and abstracts to our offices. Please remember that it is our goal to provide maximum communication access, and all case information is held confidential as privileged information.
360 Translations stands ready to provide you with the highest quality service as you schedule a legal interpreter with us. Call us at 856-356-2922, or email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist you in meeting this critical need.